* Between PCs and Macs, the ____________ is the platform of choice for graphic design and animation.
* The ____________ is the program that manages the hardware of the computer system, including the CPU, memory, storage devices, and input/output devices.
Answer: operating system
* The type of operating system software you use depends on your computerâ€™s ____________.
* ____________software helps you carry out tasks, such as typing a document or creating a spreadsheet.
* ____________are the fastest and most expensive computers.
* A ____________ is approximately 1,000 bytes.
* Input devices are used to provide the steps and tasks the computer needs to process data, and these steps and tasks are called ____________.
* A computer gathers data, processes it, outputs the data or information, and ____________ the data or information.
* The binary language consists of two digits: ____________ and ____________.
Answer: 0 and 1
* A string of ____________ 0s and 1s is called a byte.
Answer: eight (8)
* The devices you use to enter data into a computer system are known as ____________ devices.
* The devices on a computer system that let you see the processed information are known as ____________ devices.
* ____________ is the set of computer instructions or programs that enables the hardware to perform different tasks.
* 64. When you connect to the ____________, your computer is communicating with a server at your Internet service provider (ISP).
* ____________ are computers that excel at executing many different computer programs at the same time.
* ____________is the application of computer systems and techniques to gather legal evidence.
Answer: Computer forensics
* ____________ is the science that attempts to create machines that will emulate the human thought process.
Answer: Artificial intelligence (AI)
* Macintosh computers use the Macintosh operating system (Mac OS), whereas PCs generally run ____________ as an operating system.
Answer: Microsoft Windows
* A process known as ____________ tracks trends and allows retailers to respond to consumer buying patterns.
Answer: data mining
* Hard disk drives and CD drives are examples of ____________ devices.
* You would use ____________ software to create spreadsheets, type documents, and edit photos.
* ____________ are computers that support hundreds or thousands of users simultaneously.
* ____________ is the term given to the act of stealing someoneâ€™s identity and ruining their credit rating.
Answer: Identity theft
* Surgeons are using ____________ to guide robots to perform delicate surgery.
* Patient ____________ are life-sized mannequins that have a pulse and a heartbeat and respond to procedures just like humans.
True and False
* Currently, the performance of tasks by robots is based on preprogrammed algorithms.
* Data can be a number, a word, a picture, or a sound.
* Strictly defined, a computer is a data processing device.
* The discrepancy between the â€œhavesâ€ and â€œhave-notsâ€ with regard to computer technology is commonly referred to as the digital society.
Answer: False (digital divide)
* One of the benefits of becoming computer fluent is being a savvy computer user and consumer and knowing how to avoid viruses, the programs that pose threats to computer security.
* Trend-spotting programs, developed for business, have been used to predict criminal activity.
* Employers do not have the right to monitor e-mail and network traffic on employee systems used at work.
* Clicking on an icon with the mouse is a form of giving an instruction to the computer.
* Output devices store instructions or data that the CPU processes.
Answer: False (memory)
* The CPU and memory are located on a special circuit board in the system unit called the motherboard.
* Nanostructures represent the smallest human-made structures that can be built.
* The main difference between a supercomputer and a mainframe is that supercomputers are designed to execute a few programs as quickly as possible, whereas mainframes are designed to handle many programs running at the same time (but at a slower pace).
* Being computer fluent means that you should be able to build a computer yourself.
* Embedded computers are self-contained computer devices that have their own programming and do not receive input.
* A Web browser is a special device that is installed in your computer that allows it to communicate with other devices on a network.
Answer: False (network adapter)
* With a wireless network, it is easier to relocate devices.
* The most common type of memory that the computer uses to process data is ROM.
Answer: False (RAM)